Comments or questions? Contact the West Warwick Public Library
To request copies of pages, click on
Requesting Microfilm Prints
You might be surprised at the kinds of questions we get.
Take a look at the
Reference Question of the Week
Back to Reference & Resources
How To Use the Index
HOW TO PRINT RECORDS
- When you click Search the Index, you will see a list of names. Click
on the link of the name range that might contain the name you hope to find; you will see the words
"Times Name Index" while the file is downloading. You will know the
file has been downloaded when the names appear on the screen.
- Names are listed in alphabetical order. Scroll up or down until you find the
name you are looking for. If you would like to find the name in the list without
scrolling you can use the FIND button on the toolbar at the top of the
screen. Click this button and a text box will appear on the screen. Type in the
name you are looking for, press enter and the name will be highlighted in the list.
If the name is not in the Index you will get the message "search string not
found." To close the text box click the CANCEL button.
- The record you have found will show the last name, first name, and middle
initial. The record will also show the month, day and page number on which the
article was found. The event code field shows if the article is marriage, death
or birth information. The photo field shows if there is a picture that accompanies
- If you wish to return to the list of name ranges, click the back button on the
Netscape tool bar. If you wish to exit the Times Name Index, Click on FILE,
and choose EXIT from the menu. Remember, you will have to go to the microfilm
to read the articles you have found!
TIPS FOR SEARCHING THE INDEX
- If you have only found a few records, you may not want to print out the whole page. Printing can
be time-consuming and costly. Jot down the information on a piece of paper. If
you have found many records and need a printout, follow these directions:
- Before you can print records, you will have to determine the page number within the file you want to print.
If you forget to choose page numbers, Netscape will automatically print the
whole file and you will have to pay for pages that you don't necessarily need.
To choose page numbers, click on FILE, then choose PRINT PREVIEW.
This file will take several seconds to download. When it has downloaded, you will
see the first page of the file. To enlarge the page click the ZOOM IN button
at the top of the screen. Click the NEXT PAGE button repeatedly until you
find the page that contains the names you seek. Scroll to the bottom of the page
and enlarge the print by clicking anywhere on the page. It is important that you
make a note of the page number at the bottom left corner of the screen. Click the
print button at the top of the screen. A text box will appear on your screen. Type
the page number range in the page numbers box. To print page # 1, for example, you
would enter page 1 to 1. Click O.K. and printing will begin.
- If you are narrowing your search by using the FIND button, you do not
need to enter the full name. Enter only the last name and your search results will
show a complete listing of people with that last name.
- You do not need to use honorifics such as Mrs., Rev., or Gen. We have not
included them in the Index.
- If your search results show that the name appeared in the Times on a daily
basis it probably means that the person was mentioned in some official capacity,
such as Postmaster, Ticket Agent, or Newsboy. You can narrow your search by
looking for the name only when it appears more than once per issue or more than
once per page.
- If a celebrated person visited RI in this time period, you may find the name
in our Index, e.g., Lizzie Borden. Try it!